Friday, September 19, 2008

Dogs and old neighbors

5 things I do now because of our puppy

1. I put my shoes in the closet
2. I put my laundry in the laundry hamper
3. I put things away immediately after using them
4. I awake at the same time almost every day
5. I make the bed. I prefer my dog NOT drool on my sheets

I think I am being trained into having a cleaner house!

This is the story of our old neighbors.

We used to live beside 4 Ukaniain immigrants, who had been in the country about 6 months, (they moved out 3 weeks ago) and we became friends. The other night one of their friends came to visit them at their old house, did not find them (because they moved) so he knocked on our door.

We are not sure how drunk he was before he showed up, but he sure was drunk 15 minutes later when he drank 3/4 of the bottle of Vodka he brought with him.

So we let him come in, offered some food and he attempted converstion. He kept saying he needed to ask something and he was nervous. He also said he drank when he was nervous. He never did manage to ask what he needed.

But in the time he was here we learnt that his wife and 5 year old son were here in the country, that he lived beside the guy who lit his apartment on fire last week and that everything he owned was destroyed due to the water used to put out the fire. As well, he just got out of the hospital, we think due to alcohol poisoning and that he broke his shoulder 4 monthes ago and has not been able to work. What was he going to ask us, that he was so nervous about?

So then he passed out and we out him on the couch and called our old neighbors. They do not speak english well, so that was a ten minute conversation, trying to explain what was going on.

So his friend arrived, and we then learnt that the company that had brought him over from Ukraine did not ask him to stay on after his 1 year work term was over. His friend demonstrated this by doing a kicking motion with his foot. So now this man is here with his family, has no work and barely speaks English. What was he going to ask us??

1 comment:

Princess Warrior said...

You are having interesting adventures aren't you. Here's a hug. I am in La Ronge with 9.5 weeks of school left.:)