Tuesday, January 23, 2007

3 days

I am moving in 3 days. I am quite excited. In three days I am going to live in a house that is warm. In three days I am going to sleep in a bed that does not need 8 blankets and still wake up cold. In three days I am going to live closer to all my friends. In three days I am going to be closer to work so I do not need to drive as far. In three days I can easily walk to church. In three days I can leave a piece of paper in an appropriate spot and it will still be there. In three days I will be free of the stupid law of my house. In three days I will no longer need to fear judgement because of something trivial I did. In three days I will hopefully want to stay home instead of avoiding it. In three days I will be able to be the host that I always want to be yet rarely can.

In three days I am going to leave my really cool neighbor Matt. In three days I will no longer be 3 blocks away from Macs. In three days I will no longer be close to my neighborhood convenience store where they make me feel like I am back in my small town. In three days I am going to leave the place where I have lived for 2 1/2 years. In three days I am going into the land of the unfamiliar.

The land of the unfamiliar is not "the cave of desolation". It can be the cave of desolation if God chooses it to be, but most of the time it is just the land of the unfamiliar. It is not a scary place but any means, uncomfortable, yes but not scary. You look around and things are different. The security you felt when everything was comfortable is gone. The security of know ing where everything is, the security of knowing who your neighbors are, the security of knowing the exact time it takes you to get to work.

Now is the time when God says, remember "right now I am the only constant". It is just a reminder that we westerners put a lot of faith in our stuff. It is an opportunity for us to change our habits into good ones. Spend time with God the only constant in the whole world.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yipee!!! Welcome to the neighborhood. We'll introduce you to the Box office video boys. That are simply fabulous.
Sherry

Nin said...

this is so exciting!!!
I'm so happy for you, God has so many plans for you in your new home. This is such a huge stepping stone into the next season He has for you! I can't wait to see what it holds.
Living where you are now has been hard, and you have pressed through. Your perseverance has encouraged many to stick it out, to not worry, to give it to God and to love the hard-to-love. Try to hold on tight to those things God taught you through this person. She was a blessing to your life, you wouldn't be the amazing strong and faithful person you are today, if God hasn't used her to shape you. Of course, it will be easy to be thankful for it all, when you're alone in the comfort of YOUR OWN HOME! Good job Jess, you are amazing.