Friday, September 15, 2006

Decisions

Well 'tis the season of decision making. What do I commit to for the winter season? There are so many options. If you are not careful, your plate will be overloaded. I have been thinking about my winter commitments as people are coming up to me looking for my help.

I desire to help with many of the programs but for many of them, the desire is just not there. Those ones are easy to say no to. If I did say yes that would be detrimental to me and to the people around me. Then there are some I volunteer to do without even being asked. Those ones are easy. There is a joy in doing it and both parties reap the benefits.

But what about the middle of the ground ones. They need help badly. You could do it, you might not want to but you could adequately do it. You really feel no joy in participating but there is a need, so someone gets blessed because they just need the help. There might be grumbling and complaining before the event, maybe some pleasant, "I helped" feelings in the middle and the at end. But at least the job would be done. Could I do that for the entire winter season?

If I say no then I feel badly because they need the help. If I say yes then I just feel tired and like I need to go and have a nap.

I have actually made my decision. It was "no". I did not have the heart to full out say "no", so I said that I would think about it, I made them wait. I hoped it would make them feel better. Got their hopes up a little bit. That was wrong. Then found someone else to blame for my decision because the thought of letting someone down like that, based on my decisions was something I did not want to do. Now I have let them down. That makes me fell crappy. On the other hand if I would have said yes, then I would be dreading Thursdays and any meetings that go with said event.

I know I made the right choice. It is just hard to actually walk it out.

1 comment:

Nin said...

ahh.....I'm sure we have all been here. There is a season for everything, a season to go go go!, a season to rest and refuel, and a season where you find yourself in a happy medium of the two. I know that there is a season of change coming for me and my family, and I have no idea what it is going to look like. It's a little scary, but I know that God will direct us in the way He wants us to go, and that He will give us all the strength we need to walk it out. Let me encourage you that God will tell you what He wants you to do and what He doesn't. If you follow His lead, you need not worry about anything, because He will provide you with everything. Just keep your eyes focused on Him, and not the physical tasks, or your human strength. When we focus on the wrong things, we get overwhelmed, we get tired, we get annoyed, selfish.... But when we fix our eyes on Jesus, we feel peace, assurance, stregnth joy and willingness to walk in our destiny as servants of the Lord. You are in such a good place. Now is the time where you can practice all that God has been teaching you in the last years, where you can walk in the power of the Holy spirit, and walk in His lead, trusting that you are obeying His voice and not your own. Be blessed, He will bless you as you keep your word, and as your yes is yes and your no is no. Love you!