Saturday, November 05, 2005

Operation christmas child

I just finished going to Wal-mart to buy stuff for my shoe box. It is ironic that I went to the place with the most stuff (un necessary stuff) to give to a child who has nothing.

I went in thinking I will spend $10.00. How selfish of me. Ten dollars buys pencil crayons and a book. Here I am in Canada wanting to jype a little girl in some third world country, who has nothing. I left spending more then ten dollars and having a complete change of heart.

Sometimes I whine because I do not have what I want. The key here is WANT. I have all I need. When was the last time I was even scared about where my next meal might come from? If for some reason I run out of food, one phone call to any of my friends, and I will have more then enough to eat. In many countries there is no food in the neighbors house, in fact there is no food for miles.

I wandered in the toy section. looking for, well, a toy! I wanted something without batteries, that was easy to carry and cleanable. Well in amongst all the battery operated, expensive, noisy toys, I found a ball to toss around. But what about something soft to cuddle with? I kept looking. Do you know where I found something that met that criteria? In the DOG section. We are so caught up with gizmos, that the simple things like a stuffed tweety, has been designated, good for the dog to chew on.

So tonight, please thank God that you live in Canada. A land of wealth and prosperity.

5 comments:

Nin said...

Wow, you are so right. We're so selfish, so often, that most of the time we don't even recognize it!
Thank you so much for sharing, so simple but so profound. Must go change from it now.....
:)

Trail Rider said...

hey, welcome welcome!
I'd love to hear more of your thoughts as God grows you!
Good post.
Blessings
P.S. I had to do some research to find out who you were....but now I know!

Moose said...

Not quite sure who you are yet :) But nin linked ya off her site. Welcome to the Blogging world hope those of us out here can be a blessing. Good post. Yes we are over oppulently blind in our Canadian lifestyle to how much "Stuff" we have. Reminds me of the church of Laodicea in Revelations. Whenever I get too stuff focused, it is good to read that, really brings me down to earth. Blessings -Moose

THACI said...

To the bloggless one,
Feel free to use my blog this week or next. Please just keep it annonymous.

Princess Warrior said...

Hey Walking Again you are the cat's meow. I love you!!