I have been thinking recently about a chair that was given to me during a very difficult time in my life. It is the tackiest pink ever, many years old, so old it was actually made well and still had lots of life left in it. I was working at the golf course at the time and one of the members whom I adored asked me if I wanted this chair. I said "sure, anything for free". He said it was his favorite chair but his wife hated it and he wanted it to go to a good home. I was touched and assured him I would look after it well.
It took a while but eventually it arrived. In fact I came home from work one day and there it was sitting on the stairs into my house. I always laughed and told people I found it on the front porch.
It was mine and during the divorce it was considered mine. I left it with my husbands cousin because she needed furniture. She assured me that if she moved she would return it. Well she left Saskatoon a long time ago and has not returned it nor has she replied to my email. I wonder where it is.
I love presents and gifts is one of my primary love languages. A chair was probably one of the best gifts I ever got. I was so alone at that time , I wanted to die. No one was talking to me, not my church, not my family, not even my husband. This chair meant that I was still loved. It represented a new family I had made. In fact when I finally left town 6 people phoned from my golf course to see if I was ok, 2 from my church. That chair represented a piece of family when I felt like I had none.
Sunday, April 09, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment