I like the first blizzard of the season. No I am not crazy. It is not that I enjoy shovelling snow or being stuck. It is that I enjoy the way we people come together to help. It creates community in its very strange way. I rarely see my neighbors during the summer. In the winter however, there is always someone out shovelling their walk. Since it is hard work, any excuse to stop and chat will do.
I also enjoy watching complete strangers helping each other. In the summer and there is a car by the side of the road there is rarely anyone who stops. In the winter, especially the first blizzard, everyone is willing to stop and lend a hand.
People also just become nicer. Everyone will tell you a story of how their neighbor one day cleaned their yard or that a young man cleaned off all the car windows after church. It is also really easy to bless someone by cleaning off their windows or by offering to go and start their car for them.
The first blizzard means that the snow plow drivers are not worn out and are willing to go that extra mile to get all the snow cleaned off. Everything also slows down. It is frustrating that it takes longer to do things but in this society, I think that is a good thing. Everthing is quieter, gentler and cleaner, at least for the first few hours.
There is a sense of excitement in the air. There is a new challenge ahead of us, something different from the mundane. So lets all go face it together and try to get to work on time!
Thursday, November 09, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment